Omg!!! What do I do????

My youngest been wanting to play football and Coach Jared from his school been asking me since the 3rd grade (he's in 5th now). I said not this year maybe next. Well then, I started feeling guilty like if I can make time for school and multiple jobs, I have to make time for my kids interests as well.

We signed him up and his first practice was Saturday at 4. He had so much fun, and the coach called me after practice, and he wanted to know if he can join 2 teams. He told me to let him know on Monday at practice. My answer is absolutely not like that's crazy. that's 2 practices and 2 games. Legit he's 10. I'm so proud that they see his potential but it's too much. He would practice 3 days a week mon and wed 4pm-6pm and Saturdays would vary (husband will take him if I have school). I'm starting to feel guilty again by saying no to both teams. Like am I holding him back from something that he could be really good at? or am I putting too much not only on me but my family as well (we have 3 kids total)?

Here's my schedule I work full time mon-fri 6am-3pm, school 2 classes, 1 in person, work part time Allegiant Stadium. Husband works full time mon-fri 7am-330pm, part time mon-thur 5pm-11pm and part time Allegiant Stadium (we only doing major events, concerts)

What would you do? Am I wrong saying no?

12 comments:

  1. There are only 24 hours in a day and obligations that take priority over your youngest child's new opportunity.

    From the information you shared, both you and your husband are busting your butts in working and/or pursuing higher education to provide for your family of three children and/or other members.

    One may say you get off work at 3 PM and the practice begins 4 PM, you have enough time to get home and take your youngest to his practice. But by your initial decision of 'no', sounds like you have other obligations that may compete for the time and energy needed to accommodate this.

    Since you asked "What would you do?" I would discuss this opportunity with the entire family and see if everyone affected is willing and able to make sacrifices to accommodate this new opportunity for the ten-year old. I would also explore the possibility of someone else (e.g. extended family member, another parent of his classmate) that may be able to help transport him to his practices :-)

    Very glad to hear he had fun at his first practice and his coach recognizes his talent in football ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos for trying so hard to give your kids as many opportunities as you can, but sometimes there's just no way to take advantage of everything. You end up taking on too much, and then crashing and burning (I've done this too many times to count).

    If there's no time, there's no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Andrew. Don't stress yourself. If you can't take him, then you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite pieces of advice is to always look out for yourself first. You've got to make sure you are good and fine before you add more to your plate, because if you can't take care of yourself then how can you expect to take care of somebody else? Either way, IF you're the only one capable of handling your son's schedule then I'd recommend against it. But if you truly want to reach for it, then you're gonna need to ask for help from your husband, a friend, a family member, or even hired help through some kind of baby sitter service if it comes to that. Good luck to figuring it out though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Boucher : No son of mine is gonna play any foos-ball. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not think you are wrong for saying no. If it is something he really wants I say if possible find friends or people you trust that may be able to drop him off. The coach wants him to play right? Could he pick him up and drop him off for games and practices. I know that is something my dad would do as a coach. My mom also used to take other players that went to school with my brothers to practice after school. I couldn't imagine having children on the full schedule I have now! KUDDOS to you mama! You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got it, make your oldest take him! He's almost able to drive, make him drive the youngest to practice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try not to be too hard on yourself, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Maybe in the near future you'll have a more flexible schedule or more time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You said he's been wanting to play football, you finally let him and he is very good at it obviously. It's is passion don't crush his dreams by saying no. Try your hardest best put the situation out there to friends and relatives even the couch, you'll never know the outcome unless you put it out there. If all fail at least you did tried. He is interested in sports, there could be other less favorable things he could be interested in. Never stop a child from doing sport especially in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy you gave him the permission to play football. I am sure he appreciates it and I hope he continues to learn the game and hopefully he can obtain a college scholarship or become pro one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe try asking someone to pick him up? If not then just one team sounds fine also.

    ReplyDelete